Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Annoying!

Ok. So for the past few days, I've been reading (well attempting to read) Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. It is honestly one of the worst books I've ever read. And I've read a LOT of books. Usually, I just stick it out to make it to the end of the book, but with this one, I have no desire to finish it. That is highly unusual...I'm stubborn when it comes to reading...I always finish it. Even when it's not that great. But this book is awful. Truly.

Ok, maybe it's not that bad. but it is really depressing. It's set in the 1950's and it's about this man, Frank and this woman, April. They are both unhappy before they ever met each other. April had parents who left her when she was like 3. And she only says she loves her parents because she says she loved when they came to visit - how the heck is that love?! Anyway, then she decides she loves Frank because he's nice. They get married. And have the unhappiest marriage known to man. It is probably the most depressing book I have ever read. They do manage to have 2 children. Who actually seem pretty sweet. But even that is depressing because their parents fight the majority of the time, and when they aren't fighting they aren't speaking to each other. It's ridiculous.

Not only is the story awful, but the writing is strange too. Yates jumps around an insane amount of times. It doesn't flow even in a little way. For example, the sentence starts off with Frank waking up on the couch at 2 in the afternoon completely hung over from drinking the entire night because he was so depressed to suddenly being in the past when Frank met April. I admit a little randomness is ok in a book. I enjoy it with some authors because they do it right, but Yates just seems like he doesn't know what he's doing with this book.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'll end up loving this book in the end. Probably not because I know that April kills herself. From the very beginning of the book you know that is going to happen. It's never stated. There is just a mass amount of foreshadowing. So probably in the end I'll feel just as unsatisfied with this book as I do right now. And I'm only halfway through.

One thing that I did manage to learn so far - marriage is too serious to settle for something other than what God has for you just because you want to have someone. So good lesson...except I knew that already...it just got enforced from this massively depressing book.

Man, this post makes me sound like a major book nerd/worm. Which I am. Welcome to my world.

Also, I suck at blogging. I think of things to say and then forget about it later on when I finally get on the computer. I had one saved that I was working on, and I DELETED it on accident today. I have no idea how it happened. The cat was trying to sit on the computer. Because he's weird and he likes to do that so you will only pay attention to him. Somewhere in that insanity, the post got deleted. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to re-doing it.

Eh, probably not. Too bad you will never know the wisdom of that post. Sad day, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment