Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Crazy

My mom, my sister, and I all drove down to the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama for 2 days to check out some places for the wedding we will be having down there for my dear sister in June. I never quite realize how much I love the beach until I actually get there. I always hate to leave. Especially this time - my family takes a beach trip every year (and has been doing this for about 14 years now), but this past summer I did not get to join the family. I was living in Dallas at the time, and I just didn't get to go. They ate at my favorite little local restaurant there TWICE and rubbed my face in it. I was missing my beach. BUT mom, my sister, and I ate there today for lunch....HEAVEN. The only sad thing about the trip - is that it was entirely too short. I think it would be dang awesome to live down there just during February (because it's the off season and SOOO much cheaper) one year. I want to be a local! ---yes I do realize a month would NOT make me a local...but at least I'd feel like one. haha. Ok...on to the point of this blog post today......

So we drove down to Fort Morgan to check out where the ferry comes in from Dauphine Island. My mom has always wanted to take the ferry across instead of going around - but in the last 14/15 years we have NEVER done it. We carried on that GRAND tradition and did not go for it this time either. I pretty much hate being over the water like that. I hate bridges too. I would have a panic attack on a ferry. Geez.
Anyway.....so we drive down to the Fort to check it out - usually I'm pretty thrilled about forts of any kind because I love history. This time was different though. First of all, it looks pretty creepy. Second of all, the lady taking the fees at the "gate" was strange and apparently doesn't know how to dress because every time the freakin wind blew you saw entirely too much (if you know what I mean. if not, count your blessings). Third, this lady acted like we were idiots. Fourth, she told us that some lady who tried to have a wedding at the fort got her dress all ripped up by stickers and burrs. She acted like we were just going to go roll around in the grass. As we drive off (from talking to her for like 10 minutes), she tells us "Be careful!!!" We simply laughed and said ok. And then proceeded to laugh about it some more as we walked to this little tunnel that enters the fort. (also making fun of her for saying it AND continuing to say "what the heck is going to attack us in here?!") So we go and look around the fort some...ya know check it out..all the while still laughing at the creepster lady at the gate. We then determine that this fort is no longer worth our valuable time and decide to head back to the car. We come out of the tunnel, and in effort to see where the beach actually is in relation to the fort, Mom climbs the hill that is on top of the tunnel to get a better look. Beth and I followed suit. Keep in mind we are still laughing at the "be careful!!" comment. And making comments about how that lady was crazy because we still haven't discovered any stickers. And then we hear Beth yell "OUCH!" Mom and I then proceed to laugh at her. (we really do love each other I promise) I turn around to check out what the heck she is yelling about and see this gigantic burr-like sticker. I still have no idea what to call it. It was about the size of a gumball with HUGE spikes sticking up out of it. One had gotten stuck on her flip flop. Which means it stabbed her foot. Just as I am saying "wow never saw that at all" I look at the ground to check my feet and see TONS of these things. Everywhere. They were slightly hidden in the grass so apparently that's why we didn't see them on the way up. Mom decides the best plan is to just bolt down the hill. Beth and I are super cautious the entire way down while Mom laughs about her "genius" idea. Beth and I escape (FINALLY) and we all dash to the car like these ginormous burrs are chasing us (I know. we are strange). As we are driving back by the crazy lady's station, we opt for not telling her she was completely right about being careful. About 2 seconds later my mom yells out "oh my gosh it's alive!!!!!!" and then screams and screams. She had about 5 stuck in her shoes. She honestly thought they were alive. Almost ran us off the road in her freak out. It was hilarious. I truly wish I had videoed that because it was priceless. So then a midget helped us out.**


I love my family. We are just really smart, I tell ya.





**Ok this story wasn't as funny written down as it was in person. We really did laugh about it for a while. I actually still think it's funny. But I think maybe it's because I was present for it? Anyway...I have found that any lame story needs to be followed with "then I found 5 bucks" or "then we saw/spoke with/got help from a midget" It just makes the story seem worth something. haha.


P.S. - In no way do I intend to offend little people by using the word midget in my story. I just like the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment